Reading Time: 2 minutes Back to 2 minutes version
Photo by Jules licensed under CC BY 2.0
Spicy Tomato Lamb and Lentil Stew
- 1 pound of Strauss Lamb Stew Meat
- 1 cup of small diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves of finely minced garlic
- 1 seeded and small diced red bell pepper
- 1 peeled and small diced carrot
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces of beef stock
- 1 cup of lentils
- 1 can of drained chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon each of cumin chili powder and paprika
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
Makes 1 Gallon
- In a large pot over high heat add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and brown the lamb stew meat well, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the lamb and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and add in the onion, garlic, peppers and carrots and turn the heat down to medium and cook for 12 to 12 minutes or until browned.
- Next, add the cooked lamb back into the pot along with the tomatoes, stock, lentils, chickpeas and spices and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Finish with salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Serve alongside pita bread and garnish with optional chopped fresh parsley, thyme and sour cream.