Cut from the abdominal section of a cow, flank steak can become a bit chewy if not cooked right. However, when you learn how to cook flank steak in the oven as the pros do it, you’ll end up with a full-of-flavor steak that becomes the star of your plate.
This thin cut cooks relatively quickly in the oven compared to thicker steaks, like ribeye or porterhouse. In this guide, we’ll explain how to use your oven’s broiler to get dinner on the table in no time.
Preparing Flank Steak for the Oven
Flank steak doesn’t need much preparation to cook in the oven. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Pull the steak from the refrigerator and salt it on both sides. Leave at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Preheat the broiler 5-10 minutes before you’re ready to cook.
Oven-Cooked Flank Steak Cooking Time
Flank steak is on the thinner side, so it doesn’t take much time to cook. For medium-rare flank steak cooked under the broiler, it takes about 8-12 minutes, depending on the steak’s thickness. If you like your steak cooked to medium or medium-well, use the oven instead of the broiler. This cooking method will take closer to 20 minutes.
The following temperature chart shows the temperature ranges flank steak should reach when it’s ready to come out of the oven (second column) and after you finish resting it (third column). Use these temperatures as a guide when cooking flank steak in the oven to ensure that you cook it to your liking. For medium-rare, it should reach 120-125℉ in the oven and 130-135℉ after resting.
|Doneness||Temperature to Remove from Oven||Final Temperature|
Medium Rare Flank Steak
Salt your steaks on both sides 45 minutes prior to cooking, unless you used a marinade. In that case, simply leave the steaks at room temperature for 45 minutes. Then, pat them dry before cooking. Preheat the broiler. Place steaks on a rimmed baking sheet and transfer them to a rack under the broiler. Cook for 4-6 minutes; flip to the other side and cook for another 4-6 minutes. Check the steak with a thermometer using the chart above. Then, rest for five minutes on a foil-tented plate.
Oven Cooking Tips for Flank Steak
The following tips can help you succeed at cooking flank steak in the oven.
Consider Using a Marinade
While completely optional, we love a good steak marinade with flank steak. It brings out the flavors, adds a little zest, and tenderizes the steak. You can whip up a marinade and keep your flank steak in it overnight to prepare for cooking the next day. Try our sweet balsamic steak marinade or Jack Daniels marinade.
Use the Broiler for Medium-Rare
If you have one, a broiler is the way to go for flank steak. It quickly cooks the outer edges of the meat, similar to what happens when you sear it in a pan. While that happens, the inner portion of the steak cooks to medium-rare. If you prefer a more done steak, we suggest skipping the broiler and cooking flank steak in the oven at 450 degrees instead to avoid getting the outside too crisp.
Choosing the Right Cut
Buying high-quality flank steak is crucial to a tender, delicious oven cook. Look for flank steak marked as dry-aged or wet-aged. The aging process enhances the flavor of the steak and tenderizes it over time, resulting in a better final result.
Also, opt for Premium Angus, USDA Prime, or Wagyu beef, if possible. These are the highest qualities of steak you can buy from the store or butcher, as they denote steaks with the best marbling and color.
Oven Cooking Flank Steak Instructions
Use these easy-to-follow steps to learn how to cook flank steak in the oven. Then, follow along with the simple recipe below to do it yourself.
Step 1: Prepare It
Pull the flank steak from the refrigerator 45 minutes before you’re ready to put it in the oven. Salt it generously on both sides, and leave them on a clean plate at room temperature. If you’ve marinated your steaks, simply place them on a plate and leave them at room temperature for 30-45 minutes before cooking. Right before cooking, dab the excess marinade off with a paper towel.
Preheat the broiler 5-10 minutes before cooking.
Step 2: Broil It
Spray a rimmed baking sheet lightly with cooking spray. Add the steaks to the baking sheet and place them in the oven directly under the broiler. Allow to cook for 4-6 minutes. You should see a golden-brown crust form on the top. Flip with tongs to the other side, and broil for another 4-6 minutes.
Step 3: Rest It
Use your thermometer to check the temperature of the thickest part of the steak. For medium-rare, it should read 120-125℉. Use the temperature chart above to determine when to pull your steak from the oven. If it needs more time, turn off the broiler, and put the oven on 425 degrees to cook for another 1-5 minutes. Once the steak reaches your desired temperature, transfer the steaks from the oven to a clean plate tented with foil. Rest for 5 minutes.
Oven-Cooked Flank Steak Recipe
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1½ lb flank steak
- Marinade (optional)
- Salt steaks generously 45 minutes before you’re ready to cook. Leave them at room temperature. If you’ve used a marinade, remove the steaks from the refrigerator and keep them at room temperature for 45 minutes. Preheat the broiler.
- Dab steaks with a paper towel to remove excess marinade, if used. Place steaks on a rimmed baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray and transfer to the oven directly under the broiler. Cook for 4-6 minutes; flip once, and cook for another 4-6 minutes.
- Check the temperature according to the temperature chart above. Rest steaks on a foil-tented plate for 5 minutes before serving.
Other Ways to Cook Flank Steak
Want to try other ways to cook flank steak? Here are several possibilities:
- Grilled flank steak
- Skewered flank steak
- Sous vide flank steak
- Reverse seared flank steak
- Pan-seared flank steak
- Slow-cooked flank steak
Your Guide to Cooking Flank Steak in the Oven
If your sights are set on flank steak, be sure to look for high-quality, USDA Prime steaks at the grocery store or butcher shop. You can also try Chicago Steak Company’s flat iron steak as an alternative. Order USDA Prime or Premium Angus flat iron online! We make it easy to order, and we’ll ship your steaks on the specific delivery date you choose when you place your order.
Oven-Cooked Flank Steak
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak
- marinade (optional)
- Salt steaks generously 45 minutes before you're ready to cook. Leave them at room temperature. If you've used a marinade, remove the steaks from the refrigerator and keep them at room temperature for 45 minutes. Preheat the broiler
- Dab steaks with a paper towel to remove excess marinade, if used. Place steaks on a rimmed baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray and transfer to the oven directly under the broiler. Cook for 4-6 minutes; flip once, and cook for another 4-6 minutes
- Check the temperature according to the temperature chart above. Rest steaks on a foil-tented plate for 5 minutes before serving