Reading Time: 2 minutes Back to 2 minutes version
Classic Beef Chili
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 pounds of Strauss® Ground Beef
- 2 peeled and small diced yellow onions
- 2 seeded and small diced red bell pepper
- 2 seeded and small diced jalapeños
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 28-ounce cans of diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 15-ounce cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup of chili powder
- 1/4 cup of cumin
- 2 tbsp of dry oregano
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
Makes 1 gallon of chili
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium high heat and cook the ground beef until it is browned and cooked through out. Set aside.
- Next, add the onions, peppers and garlic to the pot and cook until browned over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked ground beef back into the pot with the browned vegetables along with the tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, chili powder, cumin and oregano and simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Adjust the thickness of the chili with tomato paste.
- Finish by seasoning with salt and serve with optional garnishes: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, sliced jalapeños, diced tomatoes.